Monday, January 10, 2011

The birth...

When we found out we would be having our baby within the hour we were beyond excited. I was more scared then excited but still excited:) As the nurses started to funnel in and out of the room and heart was racing. Getting the IV hurt like crazy and all I could think was 'if I think this hurts...how the heck am I going to deal with the spinal!' That was my biggest fear!

Ty began to call our families and let them know that we would find out if we had a boy or girl within the evening and to expect a call back with the news! I think he could tell how anxious I was and made all of his calls short so that he could focus on me. I'm really greatful for that.

As it was time came to head to the operating room the anesthesiologist told me that Ty would not be allowed in the room while they were placing the spinal. This was the thing I had been terrified of sense I found out I was pregnant. I know there are millions of women have done it before but could I do it?? Women who get epidurals are often in so much pain that they couldn't care less that there was a large need being pushed into their vertabrae. I was in no pain so I was very aware of what was going to happen and I didnt like it ! Ty was told that they would place the spinal and come to get him in 15 mins. So off I went...shaking like a leaf.

I jumped up on the table and tried to relax. I was leaned forward on one the the nurses (he was so great) and just waiting for the needle to go into my back. I litterally couldn't stop shaking and they had to keep reminding me to try and relax. After 4 tries.....they told me that they couldn't get it in and I would have to be put completely under! I know that I should have been more upset about this, but I was just so releieved that the spine piercing was done. This is the third time I've been put under and I'm always shocked when I wake up that I don't remember getting sleepy before going under.

*this next part of the story is what I was told by Ty. He will include his prespective of the store later.


The nurse went out to get Ty who was pacing the halls waiting. When he came in they were taping my eyelids shut so that was a little strange. He says he was really suprised at how violent the whole proceedure was. The nurse told Ty that they were about to pull the baby out so if he wanted to look, now was the time! He peaked over the curtain and saw as Dr. Johnson pull our baby by the feet hard out of me. He says it made a very odd slurping sound:)




Dr. Johnson started to say, "Its a...." and Ty yelled, "GIRL!!" The nurses and Dr's were all making bets on her weight because it was pretty obvious that she was a big girl. Everyone guessed that she was somewhere around 9 lbs so they were quite suprised when the scale read 10 lbs 9 oz!!


Because I had gestational diabetes, there was some concern at what her blood sugar number would be. Babies need to be at least at 45 when they are born. Because babies born to moms with diabetes are so used to compensating for the gluclose in there mother's bodies by producing extra insulin, they sometimes have too much insulin in their bodies when born which causes a low blood sugar. Unfortunantly, this was the case for our girl. Her number was 19!!! Less then half of what it needed to be! As soon as she was cleaned off they wisked her off to the Level 2 nursery to be taken care of.


Ty went with our baby but was a little stressed because not only did our baby need special medical attention, but I was still out from the surgery and needed to be fixed up. His daddy instincts kicked right in and he protected our baby girl. In the nursery they placed an IV in her head so that they could start pumping gluclose into her system so that her blood sugars could be leveled out. Ty spent the next 2 hours talking to her and holding her. Because we hadn't chosen a name yet, and Ty didn't want to do it without me, he tried a few of our options and the name we thought we would pick just didn't fit. He also fed her her first bottle, which unfortunantly was formula. She sucked it right down:)



When baby was set and Ty heard that I was in my room, he headed in to see me. I remember waking slightly and feeling pretty intense pain in my abdemon. What made it a little worse was that I need to cough so badly but everytime I tried, it was so painful. This resulted in my trying very hard to clear my throat to no avail. I was so focused on this that it didn't really register that I had just had a baby! As I became more aware of what was happening, I heard Ty calling family members telling them that we had a baby and everyone was safe but he couldn't tell them a gender because I didn't know yet! Sweetest thing ever!

Ty leaned on my bed and grabed my hand. I now remember that he said, "Baby, you did it. You had a beautiful baby GIRL!" At the time, all I could say was, "It hurts!". It had to tell me that we had girl a few more times before it sunk in. I was shocked! We had been so convinced that it was a boy that the news was a big suprise! I asked Ty what he thoguth her name was and he really didn't want to tell me. He was pretty sure that her name wasn't the name I originally loved but he didn't want to sway what I decided when I saw her. So I waited to really focus on her until I would get to see her for the first time which I learned wouldn't be until the next day. I had just had surgery so I couldn't leave my room and she was all hooked up in the level 2 nursery so we would have to wait to meet. Now, I know I should have been more upset about this but at the time I was so calm. I thank to Lord for being for me in the moment and making it okay. Luckily Ty had lots of pictures for me to look at to tide me over:)

So I tired to sleep that night knowing that I had a precious little girl with my true love! A prefect end to the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment